Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are
wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.
- Edward R. Murrow


Monday, August 31, 2009

As it's always been or a new way of life?

I live in a city of about 40,000 and it's not unusual to see people picking though trash looking for cans. Monday is trash collection day in my neighborhood so this is when you will see people walking up and down the street.

Usually it's two middle-aged men or an Asian couple who look like they're in the mid to late 40s.

This morning I saw this woman, whom I'd never seen before. She walked slowly up the street and spent quite a bit time at my neighbor's trash across the street.
Unfortunately for her she picked the wrong week to come to our street because next week is recycling pickup and there are much more cans and bottles to be had.

I couldn't help but watch her while standing in the shadows of my house. She worked slowly but methodically and what was odd was that suddenly I realized I was standing there hold my camera shooting a picture of her through the screen door. Honestly, I don't remember getting the camera, turning it on or even lining up the shot. It wasn't until I heard the first click of the camera that I realized what I was doing.

Standing there watching I wondered to myself about her circumstances ... the economy is still struggling, is she, too? Does she do this just to make a little extra money? Is it something she has to do to support herself ... her family?

I was struck with the urge to give her the $30 I have in my wallet and I'm not sure why I didn't ... I just didn't.

Watching her further I wondered how long she had been doing this. I would guess it's been some time because the wagon she was pulling just didn't look like something rigged together recently.

Not sure where I'm really going with this. I guess it's one thing to see people on a main city street picking through trash but it's another thing entirely to see it in your neighborhood.

No comments: