Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are
wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.
- Edward R. Murrow


Thursday, August 27, 2009

Ted Kennedy

Regardless of your political affiliation, I think all of us are saddened by the passing of Massachusetts Senator Ted Kennedy, a larger-than-life figure in political and personal circles.

My personal memory of Senator Kennedy is a "brush with greatness" moment from the 1990s.

Kell and I were vacationing on Martha's Vineyard and having breakfast at the Black Dog restaurant in Vineyard Haven. We were sitting on the porch of the restaurant and I suddenly realized that the Senator and his wife, Vicki, were sitting two tables away from us. Admittedly, I tried to eavesdrop on their conversation while trying to contain my excitement at being seated so close to such a dynamic person as the Senator.

At one point, the two were reading the newspaper and Vicki asked the Senator in an exasperated tone, "Ted, what IS Jesse Helms' problem, anyway?!?"

The Senator looked over the top of his newspaper and, without missing a beat, said (and I'll never forget this as long as live), "Well, Dear, everyone is entitled to their opinions on things and Jesse certainly has his."

I think that speaks volumes not just about the type of politician Senator Kennedy was, but the type of person he was, too. He may not have always agreed with people (especially those on the other side of the isle), but he always respected their opinions. And for that, I think the Massachusetts and the country are that much better off. He will be greatly missed.

No comments: