Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are
wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.
- Edward R. Murrow


Thursday, May 21, 2009

Handicapped

Had the golf league yesterday ... a gorgeous late afternoon for shooting nine holes.

Shot 59 on the front nine, which was a stroke less than what I shot on the same holes two weeks ago. So, at this rate, I should be shooting about a 53-ish by league's end. Oh yeah, my partner and I won the round (so we're 2-1 now).

I also found out my handicap ... 28. Yes, I literally laughed out loud sitting in the cart reading that. That means that for every nine holes I play (assuming it's a par 36), I'm expected to shoot 64. Unfortunately, that works out about right. Well, not quite because so far I've shot 60, 59 and 59.

Still, I've got a looooong way to go before I can come in under 20 for my handicap. But, I need to keep reminding myself that this is only the second season I've been playing golf and I have to patient with my game.

So, what did I learn this week? Actually, there were two things. First, I need to trust my instincts. On the last hole, I found myself on the beach (much to my chagrin) and I've read/been told that you really need to put a huge swing on the sand wedge to get out of the bunker. But, as I was standing there, I just felt I had the right touch to pop the rock out instead of swing like Big Papi. But I didn't listen to that inner voice and took a massive cut and sure enough, hit the ball square and absolutely crushed it about 30 yards, thus leading to yet another stroke when I had to drop. If I had listen to my instincts, I probably would've flopped that bad boy right onto the green and would've ended up with a par (or bogey at worst). Instead, I went double bogey. Ye gods.

The other thing I learned was really more of a reaffirmation ... that slowing down in my back swing when I'm teeing off is helping me tremendously. For all nine holes yesterday I was absolutely crushing my drives when I needed to, which was a good feeling because it meant that I was making solid contact (which is the goal every time I go out). Now, that doesn't mean the drives always went straight or had great loft, but I wasn't hooking and slicing, either. If the shot was off, most of the time it was a draw or fade.

Still, I've got to stay on the fairways. Taking drops on holes is killing me.

One last thing ... only lost one ball yesterday. Here's looking forward to the day when I play the same ball for nine holes.

No comments: