Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are
wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.
- Edward R. Murrow


Thursday, May 28, 2009

In a fog

Let's see ... 49 degrees at game time, fog rolling in, light to heavy mist in the air ... yup, it must be time to play golf!


Shot the back nine in the golf league last night and it was probably the most surreal round of golf I've ever played. It had been raining steadily all day and had stopped only a couple of hours before we set out. As we went hole to hole, the fog got worse to the point where the average visibility was about 20 - 30 yards at best. You could hear people yelling all over the course asking from the tee if the green was clear because you just couldn't see a damn thing.

I'd like to think that it was because of the weather that I shot one of the worst rounds I've shot in a long time ... 67. Yes, that's about 7 1/2 shots per hole. The closest I came to a par was double bogey, and I did that a lot. Add to the mix that I lost three balls and it didn't make for a good afternoon.

But, in my defense, I will say that it was very disconcerting teeing up and realizing that you were going to have NO idea where in the hell the ball was going to land. If you really shanked the tee shot, you could kind of see the ball hit the rough or trees, but if the shot went fairly straight, it often took some time to find it on the fairway or in the rough (as was often the case).

So what did I learn this week? That I need to modify my drives better. Once again, I was absolutely crushing the ball and with solid contact, but often I was over-driving the shot and not leaving myself set up for the next shot. Really need to work on that if I want to cut down on strokes.

No comments: