Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are
wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.
- Edward R. Murrow


Thursday, May 15, 2008

It just keep getting worse ...

Was zipping around the news websites this a.m. and read about the earthquake damage in China and caught this story on cnn.com.

For days now we've been hearing about the devastation of the latest earthquake and its aftershocks to hit China and I didn't even think about this angle of the story.

In a nutshell, the story talks about China's law that parents are only allowed to have one child. Now we're seeing that included in those tens of thousands of people who have died are many children ... which means that there are so many parents now without kids.

At any point in my life this story would have affected me on some level, but since Joey was born, stories like this take on a whole different meaning. Looking at the woman crying in the photo accompanying the picture and reading about parents standing outside a destroyed kindergarten, I couldn't help but put myself in their shoes and I just can't begin to imagine what that must be like. In an instant, your family is gone ... just like that. You'll never hear your child's voice again, never hear them laugh again, never hold them again ... you'll never hear them say, "I love you" again.

Seeing and hearing about this just reminds me again how you can't take anything for granted. I hug my son and kiss him every day and I tell him as much as possible that I love him. I can't imagine life without him.

No comments: