Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are
wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.
- Edward R. Murrow


Friday, February 29, 2008

Where do the Patriots go from here?

This is one of those posts I've been dwelling on for a while and finally decided to get down ... well, I was going to say paper, but I guess that's not really apropos in this format, is is?

Now that the dust has settled on Super Bowl XLII (altho it still stings), I can't help but wonder is this is the beginning of the end of the Patriots' "dynasty" as some insist on calling it.

At the risk of being overly pessimistic, here's how I see it:
  • I agree with a Boston Globe columnist who said recently that Bill Belichick's schtick is getting tiresome. Enough with the enigmatic, grumpy old man act. I mean, he walked off of the field of the Super Bowl with time on the clock. Yes, the game was over, but still. And if he uttered more than a five or six word sentence is response to reporters' questions after the game, I missed it. Just as terse as ever and he indicated the loss was just another loss and that he had moved on already. Um, yeah ... not buying it. Belichick needs to seem more human ... for his and the team's sake.
  • Speaking of the team, what kind of impact will all this Spygate stuff have on the team? Think about it, will free agents want to come here if there's a perception of turmoil? I still think the Patriots are one of the, if not the, team to beat in the AFC, so the allure of a potential SB ring could still be attractive, but do players want to have to hear about and deal with all the Spygate BS?
  • And speaking of Spygate ... sigh. What a flea-flippin' mess (to use a Kell-ism). I can't decide if this story won't go away because the Patriots haters and the press just won't let go or if because there's something there and it's just a matter of time before the ugly truth comes out. I sincerely hope it's the former because if there is something to all or any of these allegations, then my loyalty to this team is going to be severely shaken ... which will lead me to a very difficult position because I l-o-v-e, love football and I can't imagine rooting for another team. I hear the CFL is nice this time of year ...
  • I absolutely do not understand why the Patriots have not made more of an effort to re-sign CB Asante Samuel. According to reports, he's about to sign an offer with the Philadelphia Eagles. The fact that he wasn't signed to a multi-year contract last year is still puzzling. He's young, 27, and is one of the best at his position. And given that fact that the Defense really showed its age last season, it would seem logical that the Patriots would want to re-sign someone like Samuel. But then, I guess that's why Scott Pioli, et. al., get paid to do what they do and I just watch the games on TV.
Meanwhile, Opening Day at Fenway is April 8 ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always disliked Belichick's act. It's annoying. Show some class. As for spygate -- I honestly think there might be more to it than some thing. Who knows if it will ever all come out though.

I'm not a Pats fan by any stretch, but just my gut feelings.

I'm ready for baseball though. That's my top sport. :)

kgibbons said...

yeah you're right. Does even have fun at it? Has he ever enjoyed his success? maybe one of the reason's he is successful is because he acts like he doesn't care whether he wins or not. Although ... he DOES care when he loses.