Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are
wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.
- Edward R. Murrow


Thursday, October 15, 2009

Another reason why I hate Wal-Mart

Although they're not entirely to blame for this ...

So I admit that I like the occasional pop song. Joey watches the Disney Channel which, between shows, will play the latest videos of artists signed to its label, Hollywood Records.

Because of this, I've been exposed to more of the "tween" generation of music (Miley Cyrus, Jonas Brothers, et. al.) than I normally would have. And, in the interest of full disclosure, some of it isn't bad, like Selena Gomez's Falling Down and the Jonas Brother's song "Keep it Real" ... they're actually well-written songs with better than average lyrics. Still not my first choice of music (Slayer's new CD drops in November ... giddy!), but once in a while, it's fun to listen to some of this stuff.

Anyway ... what does this have to do with Wal-Mart? Miley Cyrus has a song our right now called "Party in the USA" and it's a good tune and I thought I'd download it from Amazon.com. Went to the site ... no song. They don't even have the CD on their site. Weird.

Started hunting around and it turns out the CD is only available at Wal-Mart, which means you can't download the disc or any tracks. Ooooookay.

The more I thought about this, the more I don't understand why Cyrus would want to do this. I wonder how many sales she lost because people (like me) won't shop Wal-Mart on principle.

Then again, I don't think 40-year-old dads exactly fall in her target demographic ...

1 comment:

Stormy said...

But 40 year-old dad's hold the cash that she's looking for!

I'm with you on the Wal-Mart thing. Screw them.

How great is Phineas & Ferb?

BTW, I don't mind the Jo Bros that much either.