Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are
wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.
- Edward R. Murrow


Thursday, August 6, 2009

A win is a win

A weird night for the golf league last night.

First, I wasn't sure we were going to get nine holes in because there were nasty-looking thunderstorms predicted for our area right around the time were supposed to be going out (which seems to be the norm this summer because every Wednesday has had rain or the threat or rain, no exaggeration).

But, after a torrential downpour around 3 p.m., the skies cleared and it actually was a nice afternoon.

When we got the to the course, we found that the team we were playing couldn't make it, so we "played the card" instead, meaning that we still went out and played nine holes because the scores were still needed for the sake of our handicaps.

We played the back nine and on the 11th hole we were met by another two-some and decided to join together for a four-some. So that made for a good time ... both of the other guys were about our skill level although one of the guys, Jerry, was a bit better. He seemed to make better shots when he needed them.

As for me, I shot 63 for the round and as usual, I made some great shots and some not-so-great shots. Still, I was making consistent contact, but I still need to work on my aiming. Once again I would make what would've been a nice, straight shot but because my aiming was off, the ball would sail to the right or left of where I wanted it.

The only real mistake I made was on the 16th hole, (par 3, 129 yards). I teed off and landed in the rough just to the right of the green, but this rough is very steep and instead of taking a drop, I tried to hit out of it. If I had taken a drop, I would have been on in three; instead, I was on in five and ended up with a seven. I've talked before about taking chances but this was one of those times where I should have taken a drop, especially since the cup was on the side of the green near where my tee shot had landed.

Anyway, it was kind of nice to play and not have to think about scoring and points. I took last night's round as a practice of sorts.

So, what did I learn this week?
  1. I need to remember that the last thing I need to think of before I start my swing (whether it's teeing off or on the fairway) is to keep my head down. I found last night that if I didn't do this, I topped the ball. Ye gods.
  2. I've got to find a way to get more confidence and I think a good way to do that is to more often picture the shot I'm about to take. I think doing this will lead me to subconsciously do the things I need to do in my swing to make a better shot. Something has to change because if I can't change the issues with aiming, I'm in trouble.
What was most fun about last, though, was that Keith, Kell and our friend Johnny B met us as the clubhouse and we had dinner and drinks after. It was great sitting on the deck in the cooler weather (after a couple of weeks of heat and humidity) and relaxing. Good times.

No comments: