Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are
wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.
- Edward R. Murrow


Thursday, July 9, 2009

2, 4 and 9

A little different take on the golf league last night. Instead of playing teams, we did a tournament-type thing, every player for themselves.

The rules were:
  1. Nine holes with a shotgun start.
  2. Each player was allowed only two clubs: 8-iron and putter.
  3. You could only bring four golf balls. Once you lost them, you were done even if you didn't shoot nine holes.
  4. Individual scoring, no teams.
  5. All players hit from the ladies' tees.
At first, this type of play was very daunting because you just didn't know what to expect. But it was a lot of fun because it was relaxing and it forced you to look at the holes in a completely different way. Standing on the ladies' tees on holes I've played plenty of times was weird ... many times you could actually see the pin from the tees instead of being so far back.

So, with a sleeve of balls plus one and two clubs, we headed out. I ended up playing with my regular golf partner; the other pair in our foursome weren't regular partners (one was A-Flight, the other B).

We shot the back nine and started off on the 17th (255 yards, par 4). After we all teed off (I never used a tee, just put the ball on the ground because that's how I usually hit with an iron anyway), we all thought using an 8-iron was a great idea because we were making great shots.

But, again, on longer holes, you really had to think about how you were going to swing as you approached the green. Pitches and chips were the order of the day.

So I shot a typical 60 for the round (my lowest score in a while) and I didn't lose a ball, which was a great feeling. I don't think I've ever played nine holes and not lost a ball and I attribute my luck last night to the fact that I wasn't hooking or slicing shots with a 3-wood or driver. As I've noticed before, I rarely hook or slice my irons. If the ball doesn't go where I intend with my irons, it's because I aimed poorly or shanked the shot.

There were two particular highlights for me last night:
  • The 13the hole (350 yards, par 5) it dog legs a bit to the left, so you have to clear a small hill on the left or hit to the right of the hill and stay on the fairway. I ended up half way down the hill. No worries, I've hit from there before. So I set up for my second shot, trying to cut around the hill a bit and THWACK, I hit a tree about 10 yards in front me square on and my ball ricocheted back at me and almost landed right at my feet. Too funny.
  • On the 16th hole (125 yards, par 3), I didn't hit down on my swing enough and the ball ended up scooting right along the fairway (the tee box and green are both elevated, so it's like a bowl in the middle) and the ball popped up right onto the green (I ended up winning closest-to-the-pin for the night on the hole). The guy standing next to me (he plays A-Flight) just stared and said, "That was the longest goddamn putt I've ever seen!" I do what I can to keep people entertained.
Anyway, a fun night at the course. It was nice playing in such a relaxed atmosphere and not thinking about scores and team points.

So, what did I learn?
  1. I can play this game. I have the skills to do it, I just need to give it time and I will get better.
  2. If I slow down, I'm a better player. Slow down in my back swing, realize when I need to slow down in my follow through ... I can make the shots I need to make when I need to make them. I just need to take the time to recognize things like that.
  3. I shouldn't stand over the ball at address for too long. The longer I do, the more chance I have for making a mistake and the worse my shot will be. Like a player from another team told me weeks ago, "Get up to the ball and pull the trigger."
Here's hoping the weather gets a little more consistent and we have more sun. Yesterday there were tornado and hail warnings south of us and the temperature was barely 70 degrees. So much for July summer weather!

No comments: