Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are
wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.
- Edward R. Murrow


Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A four letter word

I think my brother-in-law, Paul, put it best: "Why do they call it 'golf'? Because all the other four letter words were taken."

I realized recently that I haven't posted about this before, so here goes.

I love golf ... really, really really love golf.

For the longest time, I've had people ask me if I play and I'd say no, but I've always wanted to.
Then friends of mine needed another player for a foursome last summer and asked if I wanted to join them. I borrowed my brother-in-law's clubs and 18 holes later, I was smitten ... big time.

So I played a number of rounds last year, even going to Connecticut to shoot 18 with my cousin and uncle. Good times, good times.

But, as my cousin pointed out, I really needed to take lessons. So over the past winter I took intro and intermediate lessons and this season I'm seeing improvements already.

And then my friend, Kelly, got me into her golf league ... which means I get to play golf once a week for the next 14 weeks. Sweet.

So, what's in my bag? I bought a set of used PowerBilt clubs (4-9 irons, SW, PW, 3W, 7W and a driver). I like the clubs (they're about 10 years old) and had them re-gripped, but the driver wasn't great, so I bought a '07 TaylorMade Burner driver (on sale at Dick's Sporting Goods for $250). Giddy up.

The league started last week and Kelly and I were paired together. We shoot the front or back nine in a foursome at the Woods at Westminster course.

I don't have a handicap yet (that'll come in a few weeks) but I shot 60 on the front nine last week and parred my first hole.

I'll post weekly how I did in the league. Hoping to get out as much as possible this summer and fall.

No comments: