Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are
wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.
- Edward R. Murrow


Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Watching history unfold

I'm sitting here in my living room and just watched John McCain give his concession speech. Very graceful and classy.

Watching the TV and the scenes of people in Chicago gathering waiting for President-Elect(!) Obama to make his acceptance speech ... it's like watching New Year's Eve coverage ... hundreds of thousands (if not over a million) people cheering, hugging, crying. It's an amazing scene and I have to admit that I'm getting emotional because I never really thought I'd ever see in my lifetime an African-American president and I'm so glad I did.

Admittedly, I wish Obama had more experience as a Senator, but I think he's better for this country than McCain would have been. In my opinion, the last thing this country needed was another four years of Republican rule.

The National Anthem is now being sung and I have goosebumps ... always happens when I hear this song.

I really hope Obama can come through on many of the things he promised during the election ... he certainly has his work cut out for him. I know that no matter who was elected tonight, no one has a magic wand that's going to be make all of America's problems go away, but I really hope Obama is the person to at least get this country back on the right track. He has to be ... he just has to be because there are so many issues facing this nation and we have to turn a corner soon.

It's 11:43 p.m. EST but I'm so glad I stayed up to see this ... Obama's going to speaking soon ... I'll likely remember where I was at this moment for the rest of my life.

EDIT: Obama just finished speaking ... wow ... I wish I could succinctly put into words what I'm feeling. This is such an amazing moment in the history of this country and again, I hope he can do for this country what he has talked about.

Just an amazing speech ... an amazing day ... an amazing time for this country.

No comments: