Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are
wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.
- Edward R. Murrow


Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of a Really Bad Movie

A friend of mine and I went to the see the new Indy movie last Friday ... neither of our wives were interested in seeing it, so we decided to go because we're both fans of the franchise.

So we head the to theater all excited at seeing (an albeit older) Indy again ... over two hours later we walked out shaking our heads and wondering what in the hell we had just watched.

Ye gods, it was bad. When the lights came up after the credits starting rolling, my friend and I just sat there then looked at each other and were at a loss for words.

As we walked out of the theater, my friend summed it up well: "Dude, that movie sucked ass." Indeed. It was so bad, I actually nodded off a couple of times. It felt like a bunch of different people made parts of the movie which were then mashed together.

I've been trying to come up with a list of problems I had with this movie, and then my friend sent me this link and the writer sums up my feelings perfectly.

As for Shia LaBeouf, who plays a Indy's son (c'mon, I'm not spoiling anything for you if you haven't seen the film yet ... in one of the thinnest plot lines in the movie, you know this kid is going to turn out to be Indy's son minutes after he's on screen for the first time) I just can't stand this guy as an "actor" (and I use that term loosely). I thought I didn't like him in Transformers because of his character. Nope ... turns out, he sucks as an actor. To say he's one dimensional is being kind.

Spielberg and Lucas really blew it with this movie. What kills me is that all we've been hearing prior to the film's release is that it took 19 years to come to fruition because everyone was waiting for the right script. Really?!? This was the "right" script?!?

As I was watching the movie, I kept realizing that it was making little sense and I was trying, really trying to like it. That's when I knew I was in trouble ... when I have to will myself to like a movie.

And what really astounds me is that this movie is getting good reviews, even from reviewers that are notoriously tough on films.

I can't remember the last time I was this disappointed in a film. At least "The Dark Knight" comes out soon,

No comments: