Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are
wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.
- Edward R. Murrow


Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Red Sox- NY Yankees "rivalry"

A cross-mojonation thing here, baby ... I posted this first on my Red Sox blog ...

With three of the 19(!) games between the Sox and Yankees behind us and two in the Bronx tonight, I thought it a good time to comment on this "rivalry".

First of all, it's not a rivalry ... 26 WS titles to 2 does not a rivalry make. It's more of a jealousy on the part of Red Sox Nation. At least until 2004 and then 2007 and the fact that NY hasn't appeared in the October Classic since 2000, let alone win one since then.

Besides the obvious reason, I'm so glad the Sox won the WS hardware twice in the past four years because it's really taken the edge off of this rivalry talk. You can see the difference in the media already, like Fox when they cover these games. Don't get me wrong, Fox is completely obnoxious, but not quite as bad with the events of the past few years.

(Speaking of Fox and all things obnoxious, is there anyone more annoying than Jeanne Zelasko? Good lord ... every time I see her on TV and hear that grating voice, I want to shove hot pokers in my eyes. She knows absolutely nothing about baseball. But I digress ...)

I still think it's ridiculous that the MLB schedule makers pit Boston and NY against each other 19 times a season. That is, until you consider the fact it's all about the money and god forbid MLB doesn't get even more revenue, right? Yeesh.

I haven't been to a Sox-Yankees game in years and the last one I went to, Kell and I swore we'd never go another one because of how obnoxious the fans were ... especially, I'm sad to say, the Boston fans. There was noting worse than seeing pre-teens and teenage girls wearing t-shirts that said "Jeter Swallows" ... disgusting.

Anyway, here's hoping this toning down of the "rivalry" continues ... we'd all be better off for it.

No comments: