Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are
wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.
- Edward R. Murrow


Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Witless movie making

Not sure if you've seen the commercials for the new Larry the Cable Guy movie, Witless Protection. As soon as I saw the commercial, I knew this movie was going to be panned ... badly.

One of my favorite websites, DVDTalk.com, features reviews of new films and DVD releases. What I like about them is that their reviewers pull no punches and the review of this movie is no exception.

The appeal of Larry the Cable Guy (LTCG) absolutely escapes me. I've seen the Blue Collar Comedy Tour movie and have watched the show and the best parts of both are when LTCG isn't in them.

He's the true definition of a one trick pony and, IMO, gets really boring, really fast. If you've been unfortunate enough to see his act once, you've seen it a million times.

And I'm not being an anti-redneck snob about LTCG, either. I have friends who are proud to call themselves rednecks and they are rednecks (well, as much of a redneck as you can be in the Northeast, anyway) and even some of them don't think LTCG is that funny, either.

Kell and I were watching TV the other night and the movie's commercial came on and I started ranting about it saying it probably won't even take in what it cost to make the movie. "That's the problem," Kell said, "it'll probably make a lot of money."

Unfortunately, she's probably right and more of these idiotic movies will get green lighted. Yeesh ...

No comments: