Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are
wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.
- Edward R. Murrow


Friday, February 1, 2008

Super hype for the Super Bowl

Here's hoping the NFL doesn’t come after me for using the copyrighted words "Super Bowl" in a public blog [rolls eyes].

I haven't blogged about the Super Bowl yet because I've been wading thru the hype and hundreds of hours of TV broadcasts and thousands of newspaper column inches dedicated to number 42. Wow. Seems to get worse every year ... or maybe we here in New England are just more attuned to it because our beloved team in representing the AFC this year.

Anyway, I was getting ready to publish some thoughts here when I was watching the news tonight and saw the most ludicrous story I've seen associated with the Super Bowl yet this year.

In a nutshell, Pennsylvania Republican Senator Arlen Specter is calling for a Congressional investigation into "Spygate", saying the American people are owed an explanation by NFL Comish Roger Goodell as to why the NFL destroyed the tapes related to the scandal.

WHAT?!? Seriously? This is what Specter thinks is important for Congress to be focusing on? The country’s in a recession, healthcare is in shambles, and there's a war going on in Iraq and Afghanistan and he wants to bring Goodell before Congress, even going so far as to compare the destruction of the Spygate tapes to those involved in the CIA interrogation last year.

Um ... WHAT?!? Now, granted, the Spygate tapes being destroyed was a bit strange and leaves a lot of questions in people's minds, but Specter, an admitted hard core Eagles fan, has really made himself look like an idiot on this one. I really hope his office is flooded with angry emails and phone calls from constituents who take him to task for wasting time on this.

Anyway, back to the game ... not surprisingly, I'm picking the Patriots to win. I don't know about a score, but I will say that I think the Patriots will win by 12 ... not sure where that number comes from, but there you go.

I really like the Patriots’ defense against Eli “The Other” Manning and the Giants O-line … something tells me Belichick and co. are going to come up with looks that Manning has never seen before.

And Patriots’ QB Tom Brady just doesn’t lose a game like this. I like the fact the he and other players admitted the other day that is likely the biggest game of their lives, not just because it’s the Super Bowl, but because it’s the possibility of going 19-0.

Either way, it’s going to be a good game … possibly one for the ages.

1 comment:

Stormy said...

I'm stunned, STUNNED, that you're picking the Pats!!

I will (hopefully) put my prediction up tomorrow. It pains me to say it, but I'm thinking 12 points is a tad too conservative.