Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are
wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.
- Edward R. Murrow


Thursday, January 3, 2008

Happy New Year

So here we are, four days into 2008 ... hmmm, wonder what this year is going to bring.

In many way, I'd like to leave 2007 behind. Started off with the Patriots losing to the Colts in the AFC Championship ... man, that was harsh. I mean, the Patriots were up by 18 points at the half!!! (I know, I know ... it's just football, but still ... )

The year just seemed to be kind of a bummer on a lot of fronts. Kell and I have been trying to get pregnant and for one reason or another, Mother Nature's not having it. That and Kell had two major carpel tunnel syndrome surgeries (one on each wrist) and that was really tough on her. The fun part is that one wrist is getting bad again ... oh joy.

Joey had surgery for a double hernia and that was in absolutely no way any kinds of fun. I will never, ever forget the feeling of helplessness in the hospital as the doctors whisked him away and then Kell and I waiting and waiting and waiting while our little boy was being operated on. But, everything turned out OK ... still, I hope I never have to go through that again.

On the plus side, Joey turned three years old and is just getting more and more amazing. The world continues to open up to him and it's so much fun seeing things through his untainted and unbiased eyes (especially Christmas ... that was a lot of fun).

Oh yeah, the Red Sox won the World Series <- slaps forehead -> ...

I've never been one to really make new years' resolutions, but there are things I want to work on, to which:
  • I've got to stop swearing. I've heard plenty of people swear much more than me, but I just need to stop ... I keep telling myself that I don't need swears to express myself.
  • Of course, losing an inch or two off of the waist line would be great and is a definite priority this year.
  • Speaking of which, I've got to get a physical ... no doubt the doc is going to tell me the BP is too high, and the cholesterol level undoubtedly needs to be lowered.
  • I also am going to work really hard at not using the word "hate" ... I don't know why, but I've been thinking about this for a while. The word "hate" is a very powerful word that carries a lot of meaning. Unfortunately in this day and age, it's overuse has, in my opinion, diminished its impact. I don't really hate things, I just don't like them ... sometimes I don't something a lot.
  • I'm also going to work really hard on not prefacing virtually everything I say. I have this habit of seemingly prefacing anything I say with something and it's annoying even to me ... I can't imagine what it's like for someone who has the misfortune of listening to me babble (truly, Kell is a saint ... almost).
Not sure about anything else.

If nothing else, here's hoping 2008 brings more peace to this world. The next president (lord help us if it's four more years of Republican dictatorship) will be inheriting many problems but will have an amazing opportunity to change the direction of this country for the better on many fronts.

Stay tuned ...

2 comments:

kgibbons said...

I don't know how I missed this post. I've been keeping up regularly, but didn't see this one.
I believe that this year will be both challenging and reward for you , bob.
I"m looking forward to seeing it.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you all the way on so much of what you've said about the year past and the year to come! Ah, my eloquent husband...I do love that brain of yours!