Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are
wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.
- Edward R. Murrow


Monday, December 10, 2007

A few more thoughts about Patriots vs. Steelers

OK, now that I've had some time to sleep and scan the stories being written about yesterday's game:
  • I went to watch the game at a friend's house and the four of us agreed that we didn't think the Pats were going to cover the 10.5 point spread ... not after the way the defense had been playing the past two weeks against the Eagles and Ravens. Happily, we were wrong ... boy were we wrong.
  • I didn't think much about it at the time, but in looking at highlights of the game, it seems pretty obvious the Patriots (especially QB Tom Brady?) went after Steelers DB Anthony Smith (who guaranteed a Steelers win). If you watch the highlights, Smith seems to be involved in a lot of the Patriot's offense plays in which something big happened ... especially when he was trying to cover Pats WR Randy Moss (which he failed to do).
  • Heard a new expression last night that I really want to put on a t-shirt: "That was Moss-some!" Yeah, we said that quite a few times last night.
  • I'll admit it, I've got a man crush on Pats WR Wes Welker ... this guy is unreal and always seems to be able to get himself in the right position to make a great play.
  • Saw this quote on boston.com from Pats NT Vince Wilfork on the difference between yesterday's win and last Monday's win in Baltimore:

    "It might sound funny but I think we played with more emotion tonight. I think we really did. I could see guys running to the football, guys having fun on the field and I think [Richard] Seymour or [Mike] Vrabel, one of them turned to me and he was like ‘you know the problem is we [aren't] having fun’ and we always play good when we’re having fun. I think last week we lacked that. Today we didn’t lack it."

  • Next up for the Patriots is the 3-10 NY Jets, then the 0-13(!) Miami Dolphins. Tom Brady needs four touchdowns to tie the single-season record for TD passes ... think he will get it over the course of these next two games?

No comments: